Trucking accidents cause many injuries and fatalities every year. Semi-trucks and other freight delivering vehicles must be driven with extreme caution. Their extreme weight and force result in many accidents with severe consequences.
Common causes of trucking accidents include:
- Driver speeding to expedite delivery
- Driver fatigue from working too many hours
- Improperly maintained trucks
- Overloaded cargo
- Unsecured cargo
- Driver under the influence
- Failure to maintain proper distance
While there are numerous parties who may be at fault for an accident, the entire trucking industry is regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), an agency of the Department of Transportation.
Violation of FCMSA Regulations
Unfortunately, many trucking accidents would easily be avoided if drivers and other affiliated parties followed FMCSA regulations, which define proper securement of cargo, tips for proper distance between vehicles, hours of service for drivers, inspection requirements, and much more.
Federal regulations that are frequently violated may include:
- Failure to properly secure cargo with “structures of adequate strength”.
- Failure of drivers to comply with getting the minimum hours of rest which are mandatory between shifts.
- Unsatisfactory safety ratings.
- Driving applicants who are hired without passing 80% of the knowledge and skills test developed by their state.
- Commercial drivers who exceed a alcohol blood content higher than 0.04% while operating a commercial vehicle.
Regulations exist to keep both commercial truck drivers and public motorists safe. All drivers and trucking industry parties must comply with these rules.
If you or a loved one has been injured or died due to the negligence or improper care taken by any party in the trucking industry, our lawyers can help. Ashenden & Associates, P.C. is experienced and skilled in handling trucking cases. Let the firm’s lawyers, including founding partner Thomas J. Ashenden, help you through a stressful and difficult time and get you the compensation you deserve.
Get a Free Truck Accident Consultation From Ashenden & Associates, P.C.
The trucking industry and its insurance providers will stop at nothing to deflect blame in their attempts to not be held accountable for their negligence. Our attorneys are dedicated to each client and will fight to get you justice. Contact our lawyers today for a free consultation: (770) 394-8909.